Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI)
Health-Related Decisions and Recommendations
The Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) is a voluntary, self-regulatory organization for India's advertising industry. The council and its Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) evaluate complaints from consumers and industry which assert that advertisements are false, misleading, indecent, illegal, leading to unsafe practices, and/or or unfair to competition, and therefore violate the ASCI Code for Self-Regulation in Advertising. In March, the complaints that were upheld against health-related claims included:
- Adinath Ayurvedic Research Centre: The advertisement of Adinath Capsule claimed that this capsule 'removes unwanted fats and gives proper shape to your body, gets rid of swollen, loose fatty body and tones it up with no side effects. By using this capsule you can see the reduction of unwanted fats in stomach, waist and hips by yourself. It is an ayurvedic herbal capsule which leaves you with no weakness, no wrinkles.'
- Ag herbs (Singapore) Pvt Ltd: In their print advertisement they claimed that it helps control the bladder naturally.
- Ajit Ayurved: The advertisement of Ajit Range of Products claims that it is the 'most effective ayurvedic medicine till now for high blood pressure.' 'One can consume B.P. Cure churna and see the effect in 15 days.' 'It reduces the threat of heart attack to a large extent, helps to get rid of body heat and thins the blood.' 'This medicine is very effective in the early stage of high B.P. This medicine is completely ayurvedic and has no side effect.' 'One course of Heart Win capsule not just provides strength to heart and body by removing all weakness but also successfully helps to avoid heart surgery.'
- AmbicAyurve: Hopeliv DS Tablets /Syrup advertisement claimed that it 'makes liver strong and fit,' 'License to drink.'
- ApSolvex Ltd: Ricela Refined Rice Bran Oil print advertisement claimed that it is 'Oryzanol rich that reduces cholesterol,' 'In a recent international research it was found that oryzanol is a nutritious element. This health enhancing nutritious element is found in just Rice Bran Oil,' 'Qualities of Oryzanol: Reduces Cholesterol, fights cancer and diabetes, quality of reducing high blood pressure, helps in reducing problems of menopause and bones, helpful in preventing gas problems, helpful in body building & keeps body youthful.'
- Aura Health Care & Education in their print ad claimed 'No need of medicines, tablets, no side effects, no unnecessary expenses,' 'Get rid of heart attack, diabetes, uterus problems through acupuncture treatment.'
- Ayurnidanam Ayurvedic & Panchkarma Clinic in their print ad claimed that it cures Sexual problems in males like premature ejaculation, stop in sperm generation, no sperm count, swapna vicar, pre and post marital sexual problems with the help of Ayurveda and Panchkarma.
- Ayurved Health Care in their print ad claimed 'Lose weight 100% in just Rs.4999/- 3 to 10 inch in 1 month,' 'No crash dieting/ no exercise,' 'Once you reduce weight, it will not increase,' 'No side effects.'
- Bhagwan Mahavir Heart Centre: The advertisement claims that 'treats heart blockages and angina with American technique without any bypass and angioplasty at a lower cost.'
- Cadbury (India) Ltd: The Tang TVC claimed that 'Tang has fruits and it is good for health and a substitute for fruits as it provides various vitamins.'
- Charak Aushdhalay: The advertisement claimed that Charak Aushadhalay 'provides correct treatment of STD, piles, impotence, premature ejaculation, nightfall, in seminal disorders, less sperms, childlessness, white or red water, etc & stubborn diseases.'
- Chennai Unani Hospital: Their print advertisement claimed that'25 qualified graduate /post graduate got registered doctors all together found this medicine for sex weakness in Male and made by several foreign herbals after doing lot of research as per the ancient people.' 'Persons who don't have children's this siddha medicine creates 100 million live sperms on them and help to have child.' 'This medicine can be consumed by Diabetes, Asthma, heart diseases and any other disease's patients without any side effects.'
- Dabur India Ltd: The Fem Turmeric Herbal Bleach claimed that it is a 'herbal, mild & ammonia free bleach.'
- Dhanvantari Ayurvedic Hospital: The advertisement claims that they can help 'cure tumour, cancer, kidney stones, paralysis. Patients who have been unsuccessful with trying all types of medicines should contact once for ayurvedic treatment.'
- Dr Aroras Clinic: As per the advertisement it claims that Dr Aroras Clinic was awarded India's Best Doctor 2013 for outstanding work in the field of sexology. Indian Health Organization accredited.'
- Dr. Animeshs Homeopathy: In their print ad claimed that 'it provides permanent treatment of leucoderma.'
- Emami Limited : Zandu Sonachandi Chyawanprash in their TVC claimed that 'Only Sonachandi Chyawanprash contains gold which provides immunity and silver keeps the mind sharp.'
- Emami Limited: Emami Fair and Handsome cream in their online ad showed a flow chart that depicts the various problems such as inferiority complex, not good looking, etc. affecting dark skin colored people.
- Green Remedies Ayur Med Divis: Gramd Patlu Syrup, in their advertisement claimed that one can 'consume Patlu to reduce weight and fat. By consuming it daily one can lose 2-3 Kg weight and fat in one month.'
- Hair Grow: Their print advertisement claimed that they provide 'successful treatment for baldness with the help of herbs and bhasma, grows hair in few days, get rid of grey hair and helps grow black hair with guarantee.'
- Hercules Healthcare: The advertisement of Long Looks Height Gain Capsule claimed that it 'World's first invention and helpful in physical development.'
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd:The advertisement of Sun Silk Perfect Straight that appeared online on the YouTube channel shows that 'a girl packing/selecting all her hair straightening equipment and her friend telling her about a shampoo that can keep the hair perfectly straight after attending a gym session, party or even in other situations.'
- Jalan Healthcare: The advertisement claims that one can 'Lose up to 11 kgs in 3 weeks with a written money back guarantee.' They further claim that 'No excuses, no condition, no asterix; our solution: no diet, no exercise, and no weight gain even after you stop the treatment as they correct your metabolism with homeopathy.'
- Johnson & Johnson Ltd: The Johnson's Baby Natural Massaging Oil claimed that the 'oil helps in 47% more weight gain.'
- Kesh Pari Oil Capsule & Hair wash in their print ad claimed that it provides 2 times healthy, strong and dense hair forms the roots.
- Keya Seth Aromatherapy: The advertisement of Keya Seth Alopex Penta claimed that 'it can stop hair fall,' 'it makes every hair strand stronger and longer, five times faster than any other solution.'
- Khokar Dispensary: Their advertisement claimed that 'For successful treatment of impotency, premature ejaculation, night fall, semen in urine, no child and other STDs one come to Khokar Dispensary.'
- Lavanya Ayurvedic Hospital: In their online advertisement, they claimed that it cures Cancer and AIDS.
- Lupin Ltd: LupinAsli power Musli capsule in their print ad claimed it helps 'improve vitality, stamina and energy.'
- Madhavbaug Sane Care: Sane Care Range Product in their print ad claimed 'Sane care nano gel gets rid of fat.'
- Marico Ltd: Livon Hair Gain Tonic in their print ad claimed 'Increase your hair growth with the Latest Hair Gain Formula- Livon Hair Gain Tonic.'
- Medikom Healthcare: The advertisement of 18 Plus Slimming Capsules claims that it 'reduces obesity in just one course. It has no side effects.'
- Men's Health Clinic in their print ad claimed that it provides treatment for all types of sex related problems like premature ejaculation, impotency, low erection, semen in urine, night fall, low sperm count, weakness due to agedness and sugar.
- Nalam Vivek Clinic: The advertisement claims that it is 'World's No.1 ayurveda eye drop medicine for all types of eye problems.' Visual implies getting rid of spectacles. Kidney stone will get cured in 5 Days treatment without the need of operation. Hearing blocks will be cured without operation.
- New Bombay Cancer Homeopathic Hospital: Their print advertisement claimed that 'Cancer is curable now!! Successful treatment for all types and stages of cancer at Homeopathic system of Medicine,' 'Adopt Cancer cure and get rid of Cancer.'
- Nivaqueen Skin Oil: In their print advertisement, they claimed that 'Vitamin E skin oil prevents and cures stretch marks,' 'No more ugly marks from pregnancy or obesity.' 'It's unique formulation helps erase stretch marks or any unwanted blemishes on your skin.'
- Om Sivasakthi Pachilai Vaidhyasalai: The advertisement claimed that it provides 'permanent solutions for diseases like AIDS, weakness in sex, ulcer, paralysis and cancer through their leaf herbal treatment,' 'stone in kidneys will be diluted within one day by taking medicine only once,' 'diabetes will be controlled within 90 days.'
- Oro Herbal & Food Products: The advertisement of Oro Sperm Count claims that 'it increases the sperm count in just three days and it gives vital power that helps to maintain normal sexual performance. 6 bottles of Oro Sperm Count are enough for healthy sperm productivity.'
- Pavizham Healthier Diet Pvt Ltd: The TVC of Pavizham Refined Rice Bran Oil claimed that it 'protects from cancer and cholesterol.'
- Raj Dawakhana: Their advertisement claimed that they 'provide permanent solution for all types of sexual problems like semen in urine, night fall, premature ejaculation, small, thin and lose personal organ.'
- S P Pharma: S P Pharma product range in their print ad claimed that 'U – Like - Breast cream or oil and capsules. Size and shape of breasts,' 'Panji hair oil and capsule stops baldness,' 'Maharaja gold capsule and oil - for time, vigor and size. Weakness due to aging and diabetes.
Sanjivani Naturals: The advertisement of Sanjivani Naturals claims that it 'helps counter obesity by reducing 10-16 kgs within 3 months in a completely natural manner.'
- Satyajit Ltd: Larkspur Hair Vitalise, in their print ad claimed that it stops hair fall in 10 days.
- SBS Biotech Unit-II: More Power Capsules in their print advertisement claimed that it is 'No.1 herbal medicine helpful for growing height which has stopped.' 'Grow two times faster ''for boys and girls in age group 8 to 35.'
- Shanti Ano Rectal Hospital & Kshar Sutra Centre: In their print advertisement, they claimed that it 'provides treatment of piles and fistula without operation with advanced machines and get discharged within one hour.'
- Shuklas Vesaj Suraksha: The advertiser claims that at Shukla's Ayurvedic Treatment Centre 'will heal different health problems in 7 days. Hair problems like alopecia, pigmentation, vitiligo, white patches and eczema will also be cured within 7 days.
- Slim Care Herbal Products Pvt Ltd: The advertisement claimed that Slim fast capsule and powder is the 'new ultra slim fast capsule and powder that makes you slim and smart with no exercise, no side effects, no dieting.'
- SM Dawakhana in their print ad claimed that their medicine can cure leucoderma may it be old or recent and change it into the colour of your original skin.
- Spanking Products Pvt Ltd: The advertisement claims that Hair Growth 'stops hair fall in 10 days, dandruff in 5 days and increases hair growth in 30 days with 100% guarantee.'
- Step Up Height Growth Formula: In their print advertisement, they claimed that it is' Herbal height growth formula,' 'By consuming the medicine for one month the height increases one to two inches.'
- SX-Plus Gold Churna and Oil: The advertisement claims that SX - Plus Gold Churna And Oil has a miraculous power. It ends impotency from its roots. It is a reasonably priced product of North America and Canada's popular HICI Co. It also Increases length and thickness of penis.'
- The Himalaya Drug Company: In the advertisement of Himalaya Complete Care Toothpaste, the TVC opens with a message of importance of `anti-oxidant' having health benefits. The commercial further communicates that anti-oxidant not only kills the germs but also removes toxins and further strengthen the gums and teeth and then, ultimately, the commercial concludes with a message that it is much more than gum protection. The pack of the toothpaste claims that the 'use of the product would lead to 0% dental problems. This claim is linked with an apteryx which states 'with regular brushing, Himalaya Herbals range of Herbal toothpastes help prevent common dental problems related to gum and teeth and helps to achieve 0% dental problems.'
- TV- Mall: The TVC of Fair Look Cream show the photographs of some faces which were absolutely black and then they are showing fair faces to claim that they became fair after using the product.
- Zafar Shafakhana in their print ad claimed that it provides a sure cure for physical weakness, Dhat and night fall.
- Zee Laboratories: The advertisement of Virgin Again Gel claimed that the 'Vagina tightening and rejuvenating gel improves muscle tone.'
This page was posted on February 4, 2017.