Dr. Julie Epstein Found Guilty
of Professional Misconduct (2015)
Stephen Barrett, M.D.
In 2014, the Health Care Complaints Commission prosecuted Dr Julie Epstein, a general physician, before the New South Wales Civil and Administrative Tribunal. The prosecution concerned Dr Epstein's conduct as a solo practitioner at Moore Park for the period 2007-2009. The Complaint alleged that Dr Epstein had:
- Prescribed hormones, steroids and other drugs to 40 patients without exercising responsible medical judgment
- Did not conduct adequate physical examinations and investigations before prescribing medications
- Did not report back to the patients' treating general practitioners
- Did not maintain proper clinical records. Prescribed anabolic steroids for patients who had a history of abusing such drugs .
In November and December 2014, the Tribunal heard evidence from two expert witnesses and Dr Epstein was extensively cross-examined for seven days. In March 2015, the Tribunal found that Dr Epstein's conduct amounted to both unsatisfactory professional conduct and professional misconduct . In April 2015, the Tribunal reprimanded her and restricted her ability to prescribe human growth hormone, testosterone, chorionic gonadotropin (Pregnyl), anastrozole (Arimidex), nandralone feconate (Deca-Durabolin) and other anabolic/androgenic agents to any new or existing male patients an Australian endocrinologist (nominated by her but approved by the NSW Medical Council) has approved the proposed plan .
Epstein Web site has described her as "Australian's leading Anti-ageing specialist physician." In 2012, the site described her this way:
Her patients call her 'Doctor Julie', but behind that refreshing familiarity there's an impressive medical background. Dr Julie Epstein has been practising in the specialised, emerging fields of anti-ageing medicine and preventive medicine since 1996, after a career of over 15 years as a practising specialist in general medicine, respiratory medicine and allergic disease. As one of Australia's leading authorities of this new, exciting medical specialty, Dr Julie Epstein promotes the concept of maintaining wellness, and maximising the quality of life during the ageing process. The universal opinion is that ageing is part of the pathway of life, but the attendant problems of frailty, dependence and diminished life quality is unacceptable to those experiencing it, and to those children, carers, relatives and financial supporters directly concerned with those individuals. Dr Julie Epstein actively follows medical research into Anti-Ageing and she is a member of The Royal Australasian College of Physicians, The Age Management Medicine Group, The American Academy of AntiAgeing Medicine and The Life Extension Foundation. From her clinic in Sydney, Australia, Dr Julie Epstein manages anti-ageing medical programmes for clients Australia-wide and overseas .
- Dr Julie Epstein - Reprimanded and conditions imposed by Tribunal. NSW Health Care Complaints Commission news release, April 22, 2015.
- Decision. Health Care Complaints Commission v Epstein (No 2),  NSWCATOD 36, March 30, 2015.
- Conditions imposed. Health Care Complaints Commission v Epstein (No 2),  NSWCATOD 36, April 15, 2015.
- Meet Doctor Julie Epstein: Australia's leading anti-ageing Specialist physician. Home page, Antiaeging, Regenerative Medicine Web site, archived Jan 15, 2012.
This article was posted on September 30, 2017.