FTC Charges Marketer of "CPM" Tables with
Making Unsubstantiated Weight-Loss Claims
Consent Agreement Would Settle Charges
FTC News Release
November 27, 1991
The Federal Trade Commission has charged Slender You, Inc. with making false and unsubstantiated weight-loss claims for the continuous passive motion ("CPM") exercise tables it manufactures and sells to health and fitness centers. Under a consent agreement issued today for public comment to settle these charges, the company would be prohibited from making such claims in the future.
Slender You sells its CPM tables contending that they offer users weight-loss and physical fitness benefits without the effort and pain associated with traditional forms of exercise. The tables generally come in sets of five to seven, with each table designed to exercise a different group of muscles, as in isometrics — pushing, pulling and stretching muscles with or without user resistance.
The FTC complaint alleges that Slender You has falsely claimed that consumers who exercise on CPM tables can lose weight, lose inches, remove cellulite, tone and firm muscles, and achieve physical fitness benefits comparable or superior to those provided by rigorous exercise. The complaint also alleges that the company has not had a reasonable basis for making these claims. Finally, the FTC complaint alleges that the company's advertising used testimonials or endorsements to falsely represent that inch-loss or weight-loss experienced by consumers using the Slender You CPM products was typical or ordinary.
Under the proposed consent agreement settling these charges, Slender You would be prohibited from making misrepresentations in the advertising, labeling, packaging, sale or distribution of its CPM tables to consumers, and from misrepresenting the benefits of any diet or fitness programs it offers. Specifically, the order would prohibit Slender You from misrepresenting that any such machine or program:
- reduces or helps to reduce overall body fat or fat in any particular area of the body;
- results in, or contributes to, inch-loss or weight-loss or the reduction of the body;
- tones or firms human tissue, including muscle;
- removes or eliminates cellulite or any other form of subcutaneous body fat;
- flushes out or contributes to the removal of fat including acid waste, toxic waste or any other bodily waste; or
- provides health or physical fitness benefits similar or superior to those provided by rigorous exercise for normal, healthy individuals.
The agreement also would prohibit Slender You from representing that a consumer endorsement or testimonial represents the typical or ordinary experience of those who use the exercise programs or CPM machines, unless that is the case.
Slender You, Inc. is based in Crossville, TN.
- FTC File No. 882-3134. FTC Docket No. C-3383.
This page was posted on August 27, 2006.